Fourth Commission Meeting concludes in Tokyo, Japan
The 4th Meeting of the NPFC Commission took place in Tokyo, Japan on 3-5 July 2018, and was attended by 120 participants from eight Members: Canada, China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, Chinese Taipei, the United States of America, and the Republic of Vanuatu.
The Commission Members discussed and adopted the reports of the Scientific Committee (SC), Technical and Compliance Committee (TCC) and Finance and Administration Committee (FAC) meetings held prior to the Commission meeting, including the recommendations therein. The key decisions made by the Commission were:
- Strengthened CMMs for Pacific saury and chub mackerel based on the precautionary approach and commitment to further work on science-based regulations
- Adopted adaptive management process for North Pacific armorhead and mesh size limit for north Pacific armorhead and splendid alfonsino to protect young fish and ensure recruitment
- Completed online Vessel Registry, set steps for progress towards setting up a regional Vessel Monitoring System and implementation of the High Seas Boarding and Inspection Scheme as well as development of a compliance monitoring scheme.
- Four new vessels of ‘no nationality’ were added to the 23 vessels already on NPFC IUU list
- 100% observer coverage for bottom fisheries and ongoing discussions for a wider regional observer program
Members revised four CMMs (Vessel Registry, Pacific Saury, Chub Mackerel, Bottom Fisheries NW Pacific) and adopted the NPFC IUU vessel list for 2018. A proposed 2019 annual budget was adopted and indicative budgets for the years 2020 and 2021 was considered by the Commission.
The meetings scheduled for 2019 fiscal year are as follows: SC and three SSCs - held back to back from 15 to 26 April 2019 in Korea, TCC/FAC/Commission - held back to back from 11 to 18 July 2019 in Japan.
Intersessional meetings planned to progress scientific advice to the Commission: DATA WS/TWG PSSA03 on 7-15 Nov. 2018, China; TWG CMSA02/BRF-HCR-MSE WS/TWG PSSA04 on 27 Feb-5 Mar. 2019, Japan.
Intersessional TCC SWG meetings are expected to take place to address issues on Vessel Registry; HSBI; VMS; Assessing Compliance.
To view the 4th Commission Meeting Report, please click here.